[squeak-dev] Accented character input

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Mar 20 05:26:16 UTC 2008

  Hello,

  We finally get around to attack the accented character input problem
(mainly thanks to Hiroshima-san).  At least on OLPC, the "dead-key"
style accented character input seems to work fine with the new VM.

  However, when I switched my Gnome setting on Fedora laptop (it has
keyboard in Japanese layout) to use Spanish layout keyboard, and
switch the language to Spanish, my keyboard went into a strange state
and I needed to do some random key combinations to get to a stuation
where the new VM works fine.

  I do have a feeling that on a properly configured spanish Linux
install with the real spanish keyboard and everything, this you should
be able to type accented characters (and ' and `, etc.) in the way you
like.  Please test it and let us know how it goes.  Right now, you
have to compile the VM by yourself... as soon as we are more
confident, Bert can make a RPM, and Ian will add this to the
mainstream Squeak VM.  (Or, making RPM is almost free... Probably by
the time I wake up tomorrow, Bert may have a precompiled VM^^;)

  Sorry for taking so long to address the problem.

-- Yoshiki