[squeak-dev] Re: Re: pragmas usage

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Thu Mar 20 08:11:23 UTC 2008

Pragmas has given me a powerful hook into the Compiler/Parser complex. I
may be misusing them, but my experiment worked and gave me the insights
I needed into the relationships between static and dynamic variables.

A small and simple extension to the Parser made it generate in-line code
for special pragmas. (Thanks to Klaus for helping me with this). An
example method:

    *animateStars *
        " Add and remove stars randomly, trying to keep total number of
    stars = 'numberOfStars' "
        <Role: /#*Collab*> /<Role: /#*StarsCount*>/
        [maestro currentState == #STARS] whileTrue:
            /[*Collab */refresh.
            /*StarsCount */>= maxNumberOfStars ifTrue: [self deleteStar].
            /*StarsCount */<= maxNumberOfStars ifTrue: [self placeStar]]

The Parser extends role variable names such as /*StarsCount */into

    self playerForRole: /#*StarsCount*/

which looks up the binding for /#*StarsCount */in a dynamic name space.
(The name space object lives on the stack)

This was just a step in a larger experiment; more later.
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway