[squeak-dev] Re: Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 17:04:57 UTC 2008

>  >  > I added a right side-bar, with automatically aggregated news from "The
>  >  > Weekly Squeak".
>  >
>  >
>  > There are some problems with UTF-8 there.

This is a well known problem, also on seaside.st. The problem is that
all feeds are encoded differently and sometimes even incorrect. I
don't know why the detection of the encoding doesn't work for weekly
Squeak, but this should be possible to fix.

>  I tested to upload a screenshot and link from a small to a big, but that
>  did not work right out of the box. I saw a Pier addon called PictureLink
>  in the SqueakSource Pier repository. Does that make screenshot stuff
>  easier ?

I don't know that plugin. Currently pictures are always displayed as
is, unless you upload them resized or when using CSS (what is not
really nice).

> I know its well known issue of seaside & firefox. Do  you have any
> thoughts how to optimize that?

I don't know of that issue. Is there a bug report in the Seaside issue tracker?

> Because instead of loading content
> only, Firefox does all hard work by loading scripts/css sheets each
> time, which is suboptimal of course.

Currently the styles and the JavaScript (for the search) are all
served through the image. The files can be moved to Apache, like it is
done on my web-site and on seaside.st.

> The other issues are just cosmetic - like the size of fonts, etc.

I didn't work on the design. What Pier uses is BlueprintCSS, a
framework to get a cross-browser compliant base of styles with decent
font settings. It is can be easily configured to look more like
Squeak.

Cheers,
Lukas

--