[squeak-dev] Re: [Newbies] Seaside vs. AIDA

Nicolas Petton petton.nicolas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 01:13:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

being an Aida dev, I can't be completely objective, but I used Seaside
in the past too.

Both frameworks are great, powerful and mature, and I know how hard it
can be to choose.
IMHO, you can do the same with both, but they answer different needs.
Aida keeps things simple, and follows web rules like REST urls. Seaside
is very different. It doesn't use REST, and strongly uses continuations,
but it is closer to "standard applications", you don't think in terms of
pages or templates, but call/answer between components.

However, they have some similitudes. They both use components for view
rendering, you don't have to write html code, they both have js
libraries integration like Prototype and Scriptaculous for example.

Another thing, and this is still my personal opinion, I think that Aida
is a lot easier to use and learn, and also has built-in features like
users, group ans security management, while Seaside doesn't.

Maybe the best question to ask is what do you need? If you need
meaningful urls, using Seaside may be a bad idea (It is not impossible,
though, look at Pier or WABrowser for example). If you want to develop
web applications like you would do for standard ones, Seaside could be
better.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Nico