[squeak-dev] Re: How to compile FreeType Plugin (FT2Plugin)?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 21 16:24:15 UTC 2008

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Uhm, no, not really. It's a new feature not a fix. As such, it should
>> be treated with some caution. I'm not saying that it can't be included
>> but there are some aspects about it that make me feel very uneasy (for
>> example the whole kadoodle in Grafport - I'm virtually certain that
>> there will be situations where this is wrong).
>
> It is just a fix. Why should StrikeFonts break with more than 1 bpp?

Because they weren't designed to work with anything but 1bpp. Otherwise
you might as well ask "Why should the Squeak VM break with Java
bytecodes? It's just bytecodes after all." A nonsensical argument.

>> As a matter of fact I'd probably vote for leaving StrikeFont
>> completely alone and introduce a new font subclass for these guys. It
>> makes clear where the assumptions are and the extension points for
>> fonts are by now defined well-enough that these fonts could be one
>> loadable option.
>
> I don't agree. The "assumption" that StrikeFonts are 1 bpp is not
> documented. And it doesn't make sense anyway.

Oh, well if you want to make everything in Squeak that's "not
documented" mean undefined you might as well start over ;-)

>>> - There are four (that I know) advanced approach to fonts for Squeak:
>>> TTCFont, FreeType, Cairo / Rome and Pango. It makes sense to me to
>>> include StrikeFonts (including my 32bit fix) in a basic official
>>> image, with a really small set of fonts. Then the developer can
>>> choose an advanced font package if needed, taking into account that
>>> TTCFont needs way more memory than 32 bit StrikeFonts (due to color
>>> glyph cache) and that the other options need specific plugins.
>>
>> It makes more sense to me if your fonts are one of the loadable
>> options from Squeakmap. Then people can decide whether they want one,
>> the other, or both.
>
> I don't see in what they differ from StrikeFonts.

I do.

Cheers,
   - Andreas