[squeak-dev] re: squeak-dev translations (was "Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists")

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:20:34 UTC 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008 2:01:10 am Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi--
>       While I appreciate the effort that non-native English-speaking
> Squeakers put into their translations, I'd love to see messages from
> them in their native languages. This would give me the option of doing
> the translation to English myself. I often feel like something has been
> lost, and I'd love to know what the writer meant in their most familiar
> language, idioms and all.

Good intentions but I doubt if it is feasible with the kind of mail agents
available today. English, warts and all, has evolved over the years into a
link language for exchanging ideas in an international context, particularly
in a technical context.

A day may come when mail agents translate on the fly between different
languages. Imagine waving a magic lens over a piece of text and see it
translated (slang and all) into the reader's native language! Until then, we
have to make do with plain ASCII.