[squeak-dev] Re: Running a custom image in a Web browser

Aran Lunzer aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp
Sat Mar 22 23:40:04 UTC 2008

Helped by the replies earlier this week, I was able to move things
forwards a bit (before getting caught up with business-trip stuff...)

Masato Sumi wrote:
> Although the test page shows "broken picture" icon, as you say,
> sample projects in the page http://squeakland.org/kids/sqfest_2004.htm
> or http://squeakland.jp/kids/kidshome.html seems to work fine.
> Have you also tried them?

Eventually I did try them, and discovered that indeed things worked better
- at least on IE.  It seems that the use of the EMBED tag on its own
wasn't working, whereas the OBJECT tag (which calls on SqueakOCX2.dll,
right?) did the trick.  But only in IE, of course.

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> As for now, under linux I just installed squeakland then I replaced the
> squeakland image with my custom image.
> Never tried with Vista, so it looks like first step is to get Squeakland
> to run with Vista.

Once the plugin image was loading I tried overwriting it with my own.  It
started, up to a point... but then it found it didn't have read/write
access to the changes file.  Google led me to a clue: reducing the
"integrity" of the working directory seemed to do the trick.  I did that
with the following command:

  icacls \programdata\squeak /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

...although perhaps it was also important (I haven't experimented yet)
that I'd previously set access permissions for this folder to full control
for all users.  In due course I'll need to figure out which settings were
important, so I can bundle the image up into an installer.

Meanwhile...

The next problem is that my custom-built VM, which includes some extra
smarts for working with .NET views, isn't doing its job.  It doesn't seem
to be receiving any of the focus-related window messages it gets when
running standalone.  The reason for this may be obvious once I get back to
the lab and look at the VM code... though to resolve it I might have to
come back here and ask some more questions :-)

Many thanks for the help so far.

Aran
--
Aran Lunzer