[squeak-dev] please respect copyright holders (Re: Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Mar 24 22:56:54 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> writes:

Simon> I request that you do the right thing here and respect and implement
Simon> the correction being provided to you by at least one major copyright
Simon> holder, without delay. Licensing clarity matters. A good maintainer
Simon> will take care to represent the creators' license(s) accurately.

Simon> This need not interfere with your discussion of whether/how/if/why to
Simon> change the license in future, but that's a separate issue.

I agree.

We should err in the direction of the more restrictive (LGPL) license for the
moment.  If at a later time we can separate the contributions under the more
general MIT license from the more restrictive LGPL license, we should mark it
appropriately.

Clearly, my personal opinion is that Swazoo should be under the MIT,
so that I can use it for commercial reselling and have a *choice*
to contribute back what I *can* when I build stuff for customers.  But
that doesn't detract from me supporting that someone else wants their
work clearly marked as LGPL.