[squeak-dev] Re: On the swazoo list

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 07:34:36 UTC 2008

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Because he is trying to appeal to a broader audience than appeals to
>> LGPL within the Squeak community.
>
> Because the Squeak community does not want to read licenses and prefers
> to remain hostage of FUD.

Bah. The complexity of LGPL is no FUD. The reason these questions arise
is because LGPL is overly complex. To apply it properly you need to know
what constitutes modification vs. what constitutes use,  you need to
know whether the combination of particular pieces of code are
"derivative work" or a "modified work" or "combined work", you need to
know what it means to have a "suitable linking mechanism" and so on.

For anyone who likes clarity, LGPL is not the license of choice. Choose
GPL or MIT. With those two you know what you get, there is no
possibility of misinterpreting any of the two.

The other problem with (L)GPL is the people who choose it. That's
because those people clearly want others to "share by default" and have
therefore a vested interest in the broadest possible application of the
"modification clauses". Which means that, as a user of a piece of LGPLed
code, you need to be aware that the original author might come after you
because he feels you're not sharing the stuff that (you think) you
rightly can claim your own use of the library. After all, if the author
would trust you, they might as well choose MIT and let you decide what
and how to share it. This intrinsic distrust of (L)GPL is why I don't
voluntarily subject myself to these licenses.

Cheers,
   - Andreas