[squeak-dev] Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?

Reinout Heeck reinz at desk.org
Tue Mar 25 10:00:14 UTC 2008

Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Just changed to MIT on squeakforge, to please all license
> fundamentalists out there :)

Janko,

I find this totally un-F-ing-believable.

You cannot unilaterally change the license of code that others hold
copyright to. Not here and not in your country.

Elsewhere you say:
"First, this is not my problem in my part of the world, where I am as an
author protected by default."
You'd guess that a grown-up would reciprocate this protection: The code
authored by Bruce is protected by copyright too you know. You do not
have the authority to change the license on *his* code without his consent.

All the whining about Bruce hurting the community because he hasn't
(yet?) released his code under MIT has *nothing* to do with your illegal
acts. I find it silly that most of this thread is about bashing the LGPL
instead of bashing your behavior.

I understand you have also excluded Bruce from discussions about
relicensing his code - how sick can you get?

Do you realize you are /forcing/ Bruce's hand now?

He'll have to decide between letting him either be screwed "for the sake
of the community" or send out S&D letters or DMCA take down requests to
SourceForge and SqueakMap.

You have found the perfect way to kill the reputation of both a project
and yourself, and hurt the community as whole at the same time.

I suggest you put the original licenses back up immediately, and decide
to stay within the law from here on if you truly want to help the
Smalltalk community.

-