[squeak-dev] Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Tue Mar 25 15:25:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Brett Kosinski <fancypantalons at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > That said, I would like to understand Bruce's reluctance to make his
> > contributions available under the MIT license.
>
> Because he doesn't want to?  *shrug*  Beyond that, I don't think it
> really matters.  Bruce has his opinion on the topic, others disagree.
> I *highly* doubt anyone will be swayed from their position (as you
> might have noticed, license discussions tend to take on a rather
> religious tone among software developers), so I'm not sure it's worth
> starting up a debate that will, in all probability, lead nowhere.
>
> Brett.

I agree with you that if he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to.  But given
that people are considering expended a lot of work to work around and
expunge his code, it's at least worth trying to convince Bruce of the merits
of making his code available under MIT.  It might save some people some
avoidable work if Bruce can be convinced.

- Stephen