[squeak-dev] Re: [Etoys] etoys performance problems

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Wed Mar 26 08:28:53 UTC 2008

2008/3/26, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Ties Stuij wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ofset.org> wrote:
>  >> Hello Tie,
>  >>
>  >>  Your email is very interesting.
>  >>  And I am wondering: does jpeg file inserted in a Squeak image then
>  >>  saved in a .pr file are saved in the .pr file as jpeg data or just
>  >>  24bits RBG form data?
>  >>  I am enclined to think this is the second option, if so the size
>  >>  impact is hudge.
>  >
>  > Hmm, yes interesting question. I didn't investigate, but judging from
>  > the amount of pictures compared to the file size, I guessed they were
>  > stored compressed in one way or another. Perhaps somebody with
>  > knowledge could shed some light?
>

> It's compressed. When you load a form via Form>>fromFileNamed: the
>  project's resource manager will remember the original bits (the jpeg
>  file). Only if the reference gets lost (the file deleted, the image
>  moved) it will use the uncompressed bits.

To be accurate, what happen if one drag and drop a jpeg file in an
image, then save a project file, move the project in another computer
without the original jpeg file? Is the jpeg file saved in the .pr zip
file as well?

As a concrete simple example, how can I examine the content of this
project file http://swiki.ofset.org:8000/super/36 (produced with a 3.8
image)?

It use 3 graphics and I am really curious to know what inside the .pr file.

The info I got from the .pr is:
hilaire at tice:/tmp$ file ENGRENAGE4.001.pr
ENGRENAGE4.001.pr: gzip compressed data, from FAT filesystem (MS-DOS, OS/2, NT)

Once gunzipped, I can't examine the content...

Hilaire

--
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire