[squeak-dev] Re: Debugging slow browsers

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 00:10:08 UTC 2008

Debugging slow browsers
from thread:

[squeak-dev] Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

Hi Matthias,

With your benchmark I started a search among my collection of 3.9 alphas.
The slowdown started at update 6685..6686 and can be seen in the 6686 image.
It is absent in the 6684 image. Details are on mantis:

2084  Each overlaping browser slows down screen updates considerably.
Caching the image would speed things up.
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2084

Your guess seems likely to be correct.
The translucent gradient was intoduced at this point.
It probably requires everything below the browser to be redrawn.

The pane-splitters were also introduced here.
They proably add to the complexity of redrawing.

Good luck in hunting down the solution.