[squeak-dev] How can I count redraws of SystemWindows?

Matthias Berth matthias.berth at googlemail.com
Fri May 2 10:03:30 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am trying to find out why browsers get slower when you open more of
them in Squeak 3.9 (see previous emails). One theory is that hidden
browsers are redrawn. I'd like to test that by making a note on the
Transcript every time a browser window gets redrawn. I have tried to
override SystemWindow>>fullRedrawOn: aCanvas. Unfortunately, the image
locks up when I try to accept a non-trivial variation. I have tried
e.g.

fullDrawOn: aCanvas
  super fullDrawOn: aCanvas
  self title. "Hangs."

Sometimes I am able to accept more complicated variants of this, but
invariably I ended up with a hanging mage. I have tried to write to
transcript only if I am inside certain type of window, in order to
avoid redrawing loops for the transcript window. That failed because I
ws not able to accept these variants of fullDrawOn:.

Anything else I can try to count redraws?

Cheers

Matthias