[squeak-dev] [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:22:22 UTC 2008

2008/5/8 Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar>:

>  El 5/7/08 5:34 PM, "Peter Crowther" <Peter at ozzard.org> escribió:
>

>  > A supportive community pulling in the direction of a release.  Instead,
>  > there is a fragmented community who want many different things, arguably
>  > few of which are suitable for the coherent, image-based exquisite
>  > personal computing platform which tempted so many of us into Smalltalk
>  > in the first place.  This makes the release manager's job so hard that
>  > it is a job nobody wants to take - it's a poisoned chalice.  Whoever
>  > produces the next release of Squeak will get more criticism than praise,
>  > because some people's favourite features will have been left out of the
>  > image while others' least favourite features will have come in.
>  >
>  > Anyone want the job?
>  >
>  > - Peter
>
>  Thanks for get my point.
>
>  The short answer is I WANT THE JOB

Then i blessing you to take the steering wheel :)

>  The long answer is How should be the next Squeak ?
>
>  Currently we have many different things in development and not finished DS,
>  MC2, SystemEditor what seems crucial to this.
>
>  Also , IMHO two different views or point of end for a "small image suited
>  for grow from" .
>
>  Spoon of Craig seems could be Squeak 4.0.
>
>  Kernel of Pavel seems the closest.
>
>  How we arrive to any from current 3.10 ?
>
>  Here is the difference, all people working now and doing the informal
>  meetings think different.
>
>  I repeat once more time I wish a short step , named 3.11 , cutting all we
>  know could be cut , packaged to some .mcz in a trusted repository and this
>  package could be loaded again into the 3.11 image as never was cut.

Surely, the work should be continued, especially if you want to
continue with it.
I don't see the reason why board should ban you from your good and
voluntary will to improve squeak.
Just keep buggin us with removing obstacles from you way :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.