[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 8 18:18:41 UTC 2008

Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> Andreas Raab a écrit :
>> 3) Suitable welcome information inside the release. Check out
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.6/Squeak3.6-5429-full.zip for what this can
>> look like - in 3.6 there is a whole bunch of interesting stuff to
>> explore which makes it interesting and engaging (and sadly I will add
>> that 3.6 full is *smaller* than 3.10 basic). [some might consider
>> this point finished and I wouldn't hold the release because of it but
>> it seems very hard these days to explain to anyone who downloads
>> Squeak what's cool about it]
>
> +1
>
> Squeak is not welcoming anymore... first time I met Squeak it was on
> 3.4 I think, and the overall first impression was great, lots of
> things to discover and wonder at. these days there is a dull grey
> background with a few windows opened on technical text, details of
> last updates... it could not be more different.
>
> Stef
Thats the whole point of derivative images such as Fun-Squeak or
Squeak-dev image. Its horses for courses.

Those of us who want to actually use squeak for something in particular
find unloading packages harder than loading them.
So I support the goal of trimming down the main image (though its still
a bit fat)

Keith