[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri May 9 07:45:15 UTC 2008

Merik Voswinkel wrote:
>> A subsidiary issue that those of you that are fun-enthusiasts must get
>> together to solve is keeping the fun stuff alive and working. If you
>> think it is important, you have to treat it as such and maintain it.
>> No one else has any obligation to do so.
>
> Yes, it could be easily solved by renaming FunSqueak to become 'Squeak'
> and have all the developer image stuff in there as well.
> But we seem to want to release images for ourselves nowadays, not one
> for the general public anymore, like the Squeak Central team did.

I think the main sticking point here is what the *default* image is.
There is nothing wrong with minimal and/or specialized images; that's
both to be expected and helpful. To give an example, in the Croquet SDK
you actually get two images: The "Croquet" image which contains
everything out-of-the-box and the "Homebase" image, which is minimal and
tucked away in the deployment directory. So that (for people who care)
they can start with a fresh image, load *just* what they want and need
and use that but with the default image being the full experience.

Cheers,
   - Andreas