Where is the fun ? ([squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10)

Nikolay Suslov nsuslovi at gmail.com
Sat May 10 00:10:20 UTC 2008

Hello,

The problem with "fun" belongs not to dividing the "playing games" and
"programming" levels etc.. but to fundamental view on life.
There are could be 2 points of view on "fun" to choose from:

1. Getting "fun" just for yourself (or for team, no difference): while
gaming and programming like as solving puzzles, jazzing, or counting rabbits
on the moon (in math).. and  getting "fun" just from the process of doing it
and catching up the momentary pleasure by yourself. and not thinking about
it's real value/meaning to the around life of others and future. Getting
"fun" from thinking just about money, you get after "selling yourself" (and
may be rapidly then others, using extreme programming). So, we could name it
as "egoistic fun" or "fun of having"  = Jazz  (ask "old people" why)

2.  Getting "fun", from the real changing of the world and the life of
others. Providing the tools for growing creativity. And the main aim of any
process you do (developing or playing, learning etc.) is towards to born the
"child" as the obligatory condition, continuing/ replicating yourself. And
this, of course, will require from you the true unselfish work with all
spectrum of feelings and movements in real life. More correctly, "fun" here
is primordial shared with others and is not directly belong to you
personally. So, we could name it as "fun of being" or "to Be" = Circus  (ask
"children" why)

And I am sure, that Squeak* and it's forks give the best possibilities then
any other programming platform for realizing the "Circus" at first.
That's why, I have chosen it.

Regards,
Nikolay Suslov