[squeak-dev] Threaded ODBC

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:31:01 UTC 2008

On 5/10/08, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone could make a plugin, which will call ODBC from separate native
> thread, without blocking VM thread and blocking only  caller Process.
> It can be even me :)

Hmm...my Windows threading capablilities are slim to non-existent, and I
have yet to create a Squeak plugin.  However, I think I could review the "C
Way" of ODBC from MSDN and the Smalltalk/X inline C as a start if there is
any way I could be useful at all!

Is this really something you would be interested in?  This is a big enough
issue for me to keep considering "one of the other Smalltalks" over, but I
keep coming back to Squeak (in spite of it being rough around the edges)
because of the truly brilliant, engaging community.

I keep looking for something I am actually good enough at to help out with
and contribute to, and once again, I am a little out of my depth, but I
could dust off my ancient memories of C (I would honestly be better in
straight assembly using something like FASM) and try to help out if you are
interested and I wouldn't get in the way too much...

Thanks again,

Rob