[squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] May 2008 versions

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sun May 11 02:11:01 UTC 2008

On 5/10/08, Ken G. Brown <kbrown at mac.com> wrote:

> 15 mins to migrate everything from my 3.10dev8.04.1 working image to a
> fresh dev8.05.1 using my Installer script.
> This was mostly just waiting for downloads to occur and to answer ok to a
> few dialogs that pop up for certain changesets.
>
> This included installing almost everything from
> http://installer.pbwiki.com (LPF, fixes, packages, etc.), FFI, Balloon3D,
> VMMaker, restoring several Workspaces to their saved- to-file contents,
> reloading all my own work from my local Monticello repository, applying a
> few mantis fixes, loading several other packages from SqueakMap, Universes
> and SqueakSource and some other changesets from my loacal drive to make
> generating a VM happy.

Could you post some examples since this worked so well for you?  I simply
tried:

(HTTPSocket httpGet: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st') readStream fileIn.

in a fresh sq3.10-7159dev08.05.1.image,

Which successfully stated:

"You now have a level playing field."

But when I tried to install FreeTypePlus from the Universe browser, it
choked just trying to install FFI 3.9.1...

I need a recipe!  Or at least a checklist!  Building a Squeak image still
seems very..."alchemistic" to me...right order, right image, right
version...

Thanks,

Rob