[squeak-dev] Example migration script for sq3-10-7159dev08-05-1

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Sun May 11 20:59:19 UTC 2008

At 3:30 AM -0700 5/11/08, squeak-dev-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org apparently wrote:
>Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 21:26:30 -0400
>From: "Bill Schwab" <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu>
>Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] May 2008 versions
>To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
>Ken,
>
>That sounds impressive.  Does this start off with something like:
>
>   (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st') readStream
>fileIn.
>   SmalltalkImage saveAs: 'new.image'.
>
>probably with some things of your own before (or after?) the image save?
>
>Anything of your script that you do not mind sharing would be
>appreciated as examples.
>
>Bill

I have posted my complete example migration script to
<http://installer.pbwiki.com/Example%20migration%20script%20for%20sq3-10-7159dev08-05-1>, I even tried to document it a bit! :)

It needs some editing of local paths and filenames, and you need to decide whether or not you actually want to perform the tasks.
You need to work through the script step by step the first time, executing each doit manually so you know what is happening. For scripts that it uses from http://installer.pbwiki.com, you can pull up those sites in an Internet browser to see what they do.

It should provide many examples of working commands some of which took me a while to get working, like the load Workspace text from file one.

Keith recently said on #Squeak that --) Installer view 'whatever you want'. (-- will make a local text file of whatever script but I have not quite figured out how to use that yet.
If you do, please let me know, and please also let me know of any suggestions for improvement or any issues you run across.

Have fun!
Ken G. Brown