[squeak-dev] Re: Unload Traits script

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 12 19:37:10 UTC 2008

> All fine and well. But my question is what about people with existing
> traits code (like myself). I don't really care about the
> implementation (it's OO after all). I care wether the stuff actually
> works or not.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Dear Philippe,

Some members of the current ad-hoc release team, namely Matthew, and
myself, are moving for a change of culture when it comes to moving
Squeak forward.

This change is aiming to promote inclusiveness among of the different
squeak user communities. Enabling projects to migrate between the
different base versions currently in use, aiming to provide the
underpinnings that will allow image building scripts to work in more
contexts.

A lot of progress has been made on this front, with much more still
happening in the background. Such radical changes in attitude will
probably take a while to catch on, but I think this is the right way to go.

This means that Matthew's work on the TraitsUnload script is intended to
include an excluded branch of the community. However this is not to be
done at the expense of the Trait using community.

Given that the design of traits supports flattening, I think this
inter-workability is acheivable. Matthew (and I if I can find time) will
be working on some better tools support for loading traits in to both
types of images.

At some stage I would like to do the same for Namespaces.... the tools
can support loading namespace requiring code into non-namespaced images
etc. Thus lowering the bar of conflict between the two  (or more)
approaches.

best regards

Keith