[squeak-dev] Screensaver in Squeak?

Jens Moenig jens at moenig.org
Tue May 13 10:43:15 UTC 2008

Hi Boingo,

I have created a mechanism to use Scratch-projects as screensavers for
Windows as part of my "Chirp" project (http:chirp.scratchr.org/blog). The
source code is part of the download.

Since Scratch is basically a Squeak image you can canibalize this idea for
you own screensavers. This is how it would work:

1) create a Squeak app (image) and lock it down in fullscreen mode
2) - optional, makes life easier - create an installer that'll save the
whereabouts of your image in the windows registry
2) write a little *.src calling the squeak vm with your customized image (a
*.scr is just an exe, you should make sure that only a single instance can
run at a time), and copy it to the windows directory.

Even easier would be to just rename the vm (squeak.exe) to myScreenSaver.scr
(myScreenSaver.image) being your customized squeak image....

Cheers,
Jens