Fwd: [squeak-dev] Renaming "Squeak"

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Wed May 14 16:41:16 UTC 2008

Wow, this thread came alive from the archive!

Note that I wasn't advocating for or against brace notation.

But, if you are trying to write code that is portable across Smalltalk
dialects, you avoid brace notation.

On my projects, I would rather maintain:
dictionary := Dictionary new
 at: $a put: 1;
 at: $b put: 2;
 at: $c put: 3;
 yourself.

than { $a -> 1. $b -> 2. $c -> 3 } asDictionary

As I think it would be easier to update. I use literal forms to save
myself typing but when I commit code, I'd rather have the long form.
In fact, I've sent #sourceString to literal arrays so I could get the
long form without all the typing.