[squeak-dev] Redoing 3.10: License cleaning

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu May 15 20:28:05 UTC 2008

Sigh, more license discussions. What fun.

I am not a lawyer, though I do get to shoot them sometimes in my other
job.

a) the licensing agreement that people have been signing (thank you
people!) only explicitly covers past code. It doesn't mention future
code. See http://www.netjam.org/squeak/contributors/ and click the
link  'get a copy of it here' to read it for yourself.

b) there are still a number of contributors that have not signed, or
that have signed but we don't know about it yet - see http://www.netjam.org/squeak/contributors/missingSignatories
  (and this list is certainly a few items out right now)

c) there are some sets of initials to which we can't map email
addresses - see http://www.netjam.org/squeak/contributors/missing (and
again, we know a few items are incorrect)

d) until we are able to trace the initials attached to every revision
of every method in the current image and match those to signed
licences the SFLC will not be content.

e) we need to modify all the tools/sites such as SM, SqS so that it is
made completely clear what license is in use for *new* contributions.
Anything that would logically go into any typical default image *must*
be MIT licensed.

f) it seems pretty clear to me that any expanded image - such as
FunSqueak - that people would like to see distributed by any means
connected to the foundation would need to require clear licensing for
every method added to the core. One of the reasons for trying to build
a smaller core image was to reduce the volume of code needing checking
and clearing.

g) there is still a bunch of work to do

tim
Don't document the program; program the document.