[squeak-dev] [Packages] Packages Team and List rejuvenated!

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 15 23:00:24 UTC 2008

Dear All,

now that we have Installer, LPF, SqueakMap, Universes, DS, MC2, and
Sake/Packages we have never had so many different solutions for
packaging and loading our stuff.

The packages list has been dormant for a long time now, so I am aiming
to give it a fresh start.

We shall begin by supporting the http://www.squeaksource.com/Packages
repository, and see how we get on. Commits will be automatically posted
to the list from squeaksource (thanks matthew).

Informal bug reports on any of the above items will also be welcome,
though of course mantis is the preferred place for formal bug reporting.

So.... What exactly are we aiming to achieve?

GOALS
======

The first goal is to use Sake/Packages to create a definitive model of
all squeak packages, which versions load into which images in what
order, for both stable and unstable releases.

So far we have separate packages with definitions for:

PackagesSqueak310
PackagesSqueak39
PackagesSqueak38
PackagesSqueak37
PackagesSqueakMap (auto generated from SqueakMap itself)

Other projects, croquet, sophie, etoys, and pharo are most welcome to
have their own package in this repo, or elsewhere if preferred.

General unstable/latest package definitions are placed higher in the
class heirarchy, with more specific "this definitely works" definitions
in leafier subclasses.

To install sake/packges

Installer install: 'Packages'.

or

Installer install: 'PackagesAllVersions'.

Do subscribe to the packages at lists.squeakfoundation.org to give feedback
on what does and does not work correctly. If you are a Universes user
and have noticed any problems with Universes, then we can absorb that
knowledge into the model, and poke universes maintainers to pick up the
new data.

many thanks in advance

Keith

p.s. if you are on the pacakges list and this new flurry of activity
makes you nervous please feel free to complain.
p.p.s. emails sent to the list by non-subscribers should get through
eventually, if you just want to report a problem but not discuss it further.