[squeak-dev] How to choose plugins-to-built while compiling a vm?

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri May 16 12:21:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 07:25 -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:23:59AM +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > yesterday I got myself a fresh copy of the squeak vm code
> > from subversion. But I wasn't able to compile. There were
> > compile errors in the Gstreamer Plugin. So I tried to exclude
> > that from the compilation but I didn't find it in VMMaker. Then
> > I looked for a configure switch --without-gstreamer or the like
> > but there isn't one. I only got it compiled through editing of
> > the Makefile.
> >
> > It seems there are a lot of plugins you can't choose to build or
> > not. Dbus is one of these candidates.
> >
> > What is the best way to deal with that.
>
> Norbert,
>
> The plugins in the build process are controlled by the VMMaker
> code generator. If you select the ones you want in the VMMakerTool,
> generate the source, then run configure and make, you will
> be building only the plugins that you originally generated from
> VMMaker.
>
> >From your description, I would guess that your configure is
> getting aimed at the wrong source file directory. There can
> be confusion between VMMaker and configure; I personally use
> the convention of letting VMMaker generate source in ./src32,
> then symlinking ./src32 to src (this would be src64 when
> generating code for 64 bit images). I then use a build directory
> called ./build32 (or ./build64) and run ../platforms/unix/config/configure
> from that build directory. The configure script follows the
> symlink and all is well.

I can't see a plugin DbusPlugin or GStreamerPlugin in VMMaker. I think
choosing the right platforms folder is sufficient to get the right
listing for the plugin, right? Later I could get into confusion with
configure but I'll trace that later on. So, what needs to be done for
VMMaker to display all plugins?

Norbert