[squeak-dev] Re: A criticism of the Nile paper

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sat May 17 00:01:08 UTC 2008

      Yes. As far as using streams as an example, I never understood why
support for write-only streams was ever needed. What's wrong with just
assuming all streams are readable? Then this classic dilemma just goes
away. It seems to me that whoever wrote the first internal streams
implementation for Smalltalk simply got that part wrong, and no one
questioned it for a long time. I wouldn't make this a primary motivating
example for traits (hopefully there's a better one).

-C