[squeak-dev] Re: A criticism of the Nile paper (was Re: My view on Traits)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat May 17 12:27:53 UTC 2008

Damien Cassou wrote:
> thank you for your comment. I'm not sure what is exactly the design
> you propose. However, it seems you won't be able to cleanly implement
> FileStream, History and Decoder, do you? Could you please provide a
> set of diagrams so that we can compare apples and apples :-)?

I'll think about it. The main problem with the paper is that it takes
the triad ReadStream, WriteStream, ReadWriteStream and replaces those
with CollectionStream and then lists a bunch of numbers that I simply
cannot recreate. For example, how did you come up with the "number of
methods" in Table 6? This doesn't compute for me at all - neither if I
look at only those three classes, nor when I look at the number of
inherited stream methods.

Also, how do you decide whether "methods are implemented too high" in
the hierarchy? For table 6, which methods did you consider to be
implemented too high and are these counted in the total number of
methods (which I doubt since the total number of methods is too small to
include methods in superclasses so by definition it shouldn't count those).

About FileStream, History and Decoder: Please provide a definition of
"cleanly implement" so that I can see if a solution to the problem
exists. FileStream and Decoder look fairly straightforward though so
unless you have a very restricted definition of "clean" I'm pretty sure
I can come up with something.

Cheers,
   - Andreas