[squeak-dev] Re: A criticism of the Nile paper

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat May 17 21:51:24 UTC 2008

On 17-May-08, at 1:36 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>
> wrote:
>
> Heh - I've long had nearly the opposite question: Why was support
> for read-write streams ever needed? I can't recall *ever* using it
> in my own code, nor encountering it in anyone else's.
>
> What about files?

Good point. A lot of files are read-only or write-only, but not
always. MC2's file repository both reads and writes on the same file
stream. So I guess I have encountered it in someone else's code. :-)

Still, I do think separate streams for reading and writing to the same
file would be fine as an API.

Colin