[squeak-dev] Re: [Pkg] FreeTypePlus

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 18 13:21:02 UTC 2008

Edgar wrote:
> And is why I against Installer and other scripting things which IMHO is like
> GOTO or modern Pandora box.

Sake/Packages which is what is being described here is not modelled upon
GOTO it is modelled upon "make" and "rake", both of which can model
complex dependencies and relationships. In many cases those complexities
are more than the human mind can handle without getting a headache, that
is why "make" was invented.
> Some was scared for me trying to show we could have four branches of images
>
> SqueakFoo - basic . Meaning bussiness as usual.
> SqueakFooWT Meaning image witout traits
> SqueakFooMC2 Meaning image developed with MC2 (My personal pick)
> SqueakFooDS Meaning image developed with DS

Having a set of images to choose from IS conceptually just like a GOTO.
Furthermore you have no idea what capabilities any of those images does
contain, the only clue being the title, WT = With Traits or Without
Traits or With Teeth?

So building the future of squeak upon different images like this almost
guarantees an explosion of different images and forks. This is not the
way we want to go.

Instead the trend towards kernel "common ancestor" images allows us to
build up a detailed model of an image's capabilities and components
(packages). This will hopefully lead to more interoperability than less.
> Andrew  here show we could have a Big Bang effect of countless variations
> and only few experts could know how to survive in this scenario.
>
> The way to the heaven is hard and full of troubles.
> The way to the hell is always the easier one.

The path of willful ignorance leads to hell, I have other plans.

cheers

Keith