[squeak-dev] Notes from Release meeting 5 are finally out

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun May 18 20:14:17 UTC 2008

2008/5/18 Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com>:
> I finally compiled the notes from the last release meeting,
> which was slightly over a month ago:
>
> http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes005
>
> The meeting was the first discussion about what should be in
> 3.11 and who will be doing and organizing it.
>
> I will put this into a more central web page soon.
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/

# Major changes

    * KernelImage: Pavel and Edgar
    * Build system: Keith, Matthew, and Ken
          o Definitely involves Installer
          o Would be nice to involve DeltaStreams if/when it is ready

Last time i speak with Egar, he don't likes the idea of using
Installer (or maybe i didn't understood well, at which stages he wont
use it, which possible also :) ).

My 2 cents about making things modular:
HAVING SMALLER IMAGE DOESN'T MEANS MODULAR IMAGE.
Example: you can unload traits (thanks to Matthew), but can't load
them back, or iterate load/unload multiple times :)

I'm okay with idea of having smaller image as a base, which means that
it easier to maintain by small team and delegate different parts to be
handled by other teams.
But we all need to work in environment having at least basic set of
tools for coding & debugging. And this definitely requires UI.
And UI currently can't be loaded/unloaded by will. So, you need to
develop your project in dev-image, which having all these tools, but
for deployment use different one, where morphic, or other dev-related
packages not installed.

So, i see that in 3.11 we should pay attention how make things more
modular: by introducing automated scripts which can unload & load
things back automatically.
And this is where such Installed can be very helpful:

10 timesRepeat: [ Installer install: 'Morphic'. Installer uninstall: 'Morphic' ]

Edgar having different view on this:
use minimal base kernel image, and then build new image, from a
scratch by loading different packages.
It easier to use (since we need to support for loading code), but not
truly modular, since you really unable to unload things , when you
don't  need them.

My vision, that initially, 3.11 should be based on 3.10 (to support a
development continuity) and using automated and well-tested scripts,
strip image to minimal kernel.
A received artifact should support then loading things back (Morphic
e.t.c.), as well, as unloading them again.
That's what i call 'modular' :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.