[squeak-dev] license related changes on Mantis server

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue May 20 20:23:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 15:29 -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I'd like to ask the box-admins to make a few changes to the Mantis
> setup in aid of making sure we are totally clear on the licensing of
> future contributions. Not being any sort of expert in Mantis setup, I
> may well be asking for something impossible, in which case I'm sure I
> will be told about it.
>
> On the main page, we need a clear announcement that any code
> contributed as a bugfix MUST be MIT license and that submitting code
> in a Mantis report is taken as explicit notification that the code is
> so licensed. Personally, I'd say that we should take this position for
> *any* code but possibly some people may have valid arguments that it
> is not appropriate for certain packages or projects. If is plausible
> to allow for this, then we should consider it.

First we need to define 'main page'.  This actually is determined by
whether you are logged in or not and what project you were last looking
at.  Were you thinking of the page that currently has the notice
regarding adding the report number to the filename of any attachments?
This page is specific to the Squeak project.  I can easily add a notice
to this page and in fact I think it is appropriate that it be on this
page which will only be seen if Squeak is the selected project.  I think
any notice, if any, we put on the Squeak Packages project will need to
be different.

Should I just write up my own notice or would you like to provide
specific text?

> On the 'Report Issue' page I suggest that we have a repeat of the main
> page note.

Where do you see a note going on the report page?

> If possible some sort of pop-up notification when uploading a file (a
> fairly typical action when submitting a proposed solution) might be
> sensible.

When would such a pop-up notification be triggered?  On hitting the
'Upload File' button?

I would suggest having a short form of the notice on all pages either in
the footer or perhaps header which is consistently displayed on all
pages.

Note that we could probably hash this out much quicker on IRC or a Skype
chat.

Ken