[squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk images considered harmful

Tim M 365nice at gmail.com
Thu May 22 08:49:26 UTC 2008

Hi Keith,

>> Do any of you have ideas how to respond? Are there perhaps other
>> Debian packages that have a similar issue of accountability?
>>
>> And how hard would it actually be to bootstrap a fresh Squeak image
>> from sources nowadays?

Not sure if this is any use - but in Dolphin I take the basic image and I
call it with a command line parameter that indicates a root package to load
from the file system (so called .pac files) - the loader then starts loading
the package and all its dependencies checking for any errors that occur (if
they do it fails startup) - it then begines a deployment routine to generate
a .exe

I am wondering if the Debian guys might go for a super slim image in sqeuak
which they have "blessed" and then you have a loader that reads in .mcz files
to build up the rest of the more complete system. As mcz files are just zips
that people could extract and diff - this might overcome there nervousness
about future versions being difficult to compare for changes. On load completion
you save a "development" image which can be used over and over again (as
we have now).

Again, not sure if this is what the trouble is - but it might work.

Tim