[squeak-dev] Re: Doing spanish translation??

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Sat May 24 06:50:23 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg a écrit :

> On 23.05.2008, at 22:44, Javier wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm new to this list.
>> I'd like to translate the official 3.10 image to spanish, and would
>> like to know if there would be any problem to include that translation
>> into the official image or not, just because it is a lot of work and
>> wouldn't like to waste the time.
>>
>> (I'm a native spanish speaker)
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> Note that the LinEx guys did a nice translation of their image:
>
>     http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6911
>
> which should soon be merged with the OLPC Etoys translation:
>
>     http://dev.laptop.org/translate/projects/etoys/
>
> (btw, Etoys now uses gettext for translating which is well supported and
> pretty much standard in the open-source world)

Yes, it is pretty handy to have gettext support with .po file, it makes
easier to maintain translation.

Do you know about any plan to include it in Squeak image as well? Or may
be just an external gettext package ready to use will do it. Do you
think EToys team could produce such a package to test it in squeak image?
It is definitely useful to localise web application. I am wondering how
Seaside people are handling localisation. Btw, I guess Sophie people
will love to have it as well.

Hilaire