Fwd: [squeak-dev] Gettext EToys patches for Squeak.org

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Sun May 25 08:48:54 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/5/25
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Gettext EToys patches for Squeak.org
To: hilaire at ofset.org

Hilaire, I am replying to you as I 'm not a subscriber of squeak-dev.
Please feel free to forward this.

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ofset.org> wrote:
> Korakurider, do you know of any constraint to make working your Gettext
> patch for Etoys into standard Squeak.org images?
 Constraint of what ?

 About my patches, someone needs to pull complete changes from the
stream; some changeset pushed actually were revised from my original
and Takashi wrote some.  And I don't keep complete set.

 Here are some thought:
 + Gettext based translation ecosystem consists of several effort.
   Your scope and goal need to be planned before start the work.
   -- translation engine based on gettext emulation and refactoring
to existing translation engine
   -- small facility to manage translation domain
   -- POT extractor
   -- massive changes to apply #translatedNoop to code so that all
strings to translate will be extracted to POT
   -- translation portal and central repository where community work on

 + how to define translation domain is important and difficult.  I
think even for OLPC etoys we haven't gotten good scheme.

/Korakurider

--
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire