[squeak-dev] Squeak Forums (was: Our website in other languages too? (and forums?))

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi glpunzi at lordzealon.com
Mon May 26 10:54:55 UTC 2008

Hi Janko, list..

On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:38:27 +0200
Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> It could be that someone is more fan of forums like PhPBB while others
> are more used of pure mailing lists. With a right mail client you can
> organize your mails quite close to the forum like. Also in terms of
> priority I think the multilingual website is more important right now.

Yes, probably multilingual website is more important, but, an official Squeak Forum, can give  us a site, where all the community, in all the languages, are there. You don't need to subscribe to Squeak-Dev, Squeak-Announce, SqueakRos, v3dot10, Squeak-Beginners, Squeak-UI, and so on.

Probably, for much people, is better maillist. But Maillist is not more comfortable. You can put rules to a mail client and move the mails to folders. And configure again to read in other computer. I do this, but a web interface to read, reply, comment, and post, is more easy IMHO.

In maillist is harder to find something, or reply to more than one person. This without taking in count the digest. Reply to more than one mail with digest turned on is something like inferno.

Other advantage is for newbies. Newbies every day is more younger, and youngers, is more familiarized with forums rather than maillists. And, the use of a maillist could be a disadvantage for somebody new searching for support.

> But you have quite active Squeak in Spanish mailing list:
> http://www.nabble.com/Squeak-in-Spanish-f14188.html ?

I know I'm active, but this lists, is not official on SqueakFoundation. This, could be sound  stupid, but, not all people will search on Yahoo Groups for a spanish "official" community for Squeak.

As I said, this is only my opinion. I use it forums in other communities, and, really, is more easy and comfortable for the day by day.

--
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <glpunzi at lordzealon.com>
<http://www.lordzealon.com>