[squeak-dev] Smalltalk images considered harmful

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon May 26 14:47:11 UTC 2008

On 26.05.2008, at 16:20, David Zmick wrote:

> I don't know if anybody has already said this, but I think we should
> just have our own repository for debian.

That's missing the point (besides, apt repos for squeak do exist).

The point is that with the relicensing effort we finally have the
chance to become an regular member of the wider open source and free
software community. Inclusion in Debian, Fedora, etc. will certainly
get us a much wider user base, because Squeak or Etoys would be listed
alongside all the other development or learning environments. It's
much easier to get into specialized distros like Edubuntu if the
package is part of regular distros. Etc.

You could even write software that depends on an existing VM and image
and hence could be a small nice utility that does not have to bundle
its own image and VM (and once Squeak opens the door it could be
easier for subsequent Squeak-based apps to get accepted).

Now I am neither a Debian nor Fedora maintainer, but I hoped that
there are people who use these (and other) distros and care enough
about Squeak to push it into the right channels.

- Bert -