[squeak-dev] [Packages] Packages Team and List rejuvenated!

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:47:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:14 AM, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  I believe that Sake/Packages is better
> than Universes in many ways, but then I am totally biased since I wrote it.
>
> The significant difference between sake/packages and universes is that the
> former is open to all, whereas universes can be updated only by package
> maintainers. This means that sake/packages is likely to be more agile, and
> up to date.

I wouldn't call this "better", I would call it different.  Universes,
as far as I understand, are about stability.  I.e. someone has to
"sign off" that packages work together before they get included.
Debian works this way and it lets you do things like allow updates to
just get applied to your server automatically because you can have a
pretty high confidence that no updates will happen if there is a doubt
about how they react.

You stuff would be preferred in a setting where the user is more
"hands on" and always wants the latest even if it causes a crash now
and then (stated another way:  production vs. development).