[squeak-dev] Revising Squeak 7175 (3.10.1)

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 02:09:39 UTC 2008

Revising Squeak 7175 (3.10.1)

Hi Ken, Hi Edgar, Hi Klaus,

First appreciation.
It is very good to see fixes to 3.10 come out
 and to see a project run to schedule.

Second appreciation in the form of critism.
I just downloaded the revised 3.10.1.
The first thing it tells me is that it is broken
 and that I should click for an update and save the image.

Everybody who down loads squeak must do this.

Does something about this sound wrong to you?

A revision to fix mistakes should not need user interaction
 to fix mistakes made to the revision in the last step.

First, you wonder why the releasers just did not
 do those two steps before the release.

Second, if you look into the problem you will see that
 updating to 7175 from the update stream avoids the mistake entirely.
 The phantom catagory is not there.
The downside of doing it this way is that the changes file is not condensed.
So why not add a changeset with postscript to do only that?
Then release the result?

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace