[squeak-dev] Window closing

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat May 31 11:35:13 UTC 2008

On 30.05.2008, at 18:25, Brad Fuller wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Diogenes Moreira
> <diogenes.moreira at gmail.com> wrote:
>> such as,  when you close the world
>> form the window menu. In linux squeak is killed without question, in
>> windows the squeak ask you if you are sure of the action.
>
> There was discussion regarding this issue about a year ago. I thought
> someone, (it might have been Ian), came up with a potential solution
> that got us part of the way. You might check the archives. I can't
> remember the final outcome.
>
> Obviously, you should close squeak from the world menu to circumvent
> the problem.

There is support for this in the latest Linux VM (3.10). Clicking the
title-bar close icon does not immediately close the window anymore.
Instead, a window-close-event is sent to the image (the same one that
the host window support uses). This works the same in the OS X Carbon
VM if you patch its Info.plist file to not disable the red window
close button.

The new Etoys image then shows a quit dialog (unless it is run in
Sugar, where it does a save-and-quit without a dialog).

I don't think anybody added that support to a regular 3.10 image. The
change set is here:

http://tinlizzie.org/updates/etoys/updates/1574WindowEvents-JMM-bf.cs

- Bert -