Organizing VM releases [Was: Re: [squeak-dev] The version 3.10 does not work on Linux.]

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat May 31 13:17:30 UTC 2008

2008/5/31 Giovanni Corriga <giovanni at corriga.net>:
> Brad Fuller ha scritto:
>>
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Giovanni Corriga <giovanni at corriga.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Am I the only one who thinks that this is wrong?
>>
>> It seems appropriate that people with the specific skills of the
>> platform should maintain the VM code.
>> Doesn't it?
>>

> I'm not talking about mantaining, I'm talking about releasing. Squeak is the
> only system that I know of where the VM/interpreter is not released at the
> same time as "the runtime". We should try and have new VMs released when we
> release the new image, if only to make things more understandable for the
> beginners.

I don't think that beginners have relation to this. Beginners clicking
on download link, that's all they need to know :)
But you are right that we should think about making more centralized
approach for maintaining VM runtimes. At least for major platforms.

I see it with following workflow:
- someone suggests fix/update/new feature
- a new update request ticket is placed in list of squeak VM updates
  - maintainers get new stuff working on their platform
  - once all maintainers confirmed that new update is ready, we
releasing new VM version for all platforms.
- update ticked closed

I think this topic worth discussing during next Leadership meeting.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.