[squeak-dev] application packaging

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Mon Nov 3 13:57:31 UTC 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 03/11/2008, at 09:04, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>
>> I have previously asked for tips on how to package non-web apps for
>> distribution to users. Several people suggested that I should
>> follow the examples set by Plopp and Sophie. Unfortunately I
>> haven't been able to locate a description of what they do. I asked
>> on the Sophie mailing list, but got no response. Is there a summary
>> of the approach they use on the web somewhere?
>>
>> ---
>> Mark Volkmann
>
> The "One Click" technique now is used by Seaside, Pier and Aida also.
> All you need is the last OS X VM you could find
>
> For OS X, you see as one thing, but for the others OS is a folder
> with subfolders like this of Pier
>
> Pier.app
> Into this "folder"
> pier.exe
> - Contents
> - - Linux686
> - - MacOS
> - Resources
> And into the Resources folder the pier.changes, pier.image,
> SqueakV39.sources and some other files.
>
> So all you need is some app for open the app and put all you need
> into.
> Or do all by hand using another OS and not Mac OS X.

My apologies, but I still don't comprehend the steps to be taken.
Suppose my application is a simple as this. I have a class with a
single class method as follows:

sayHello
	self inform: 'Hello World!'

After the user presses the "OK" button, the application can exit.

How can I turn that into an application that a user can launch where
they aren't dumped into the Squeak environment where they can do
things like open browsers.

---
Mark Volkmann