[squeak-dev] 64bit or 32bit VM

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 00:22:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 5:59 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 05:53:54PM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
>> I was building the latest svn VM, out of the box, on a Linux 64bit
>> machine, and while it made, it doesn't work when calling plugins (it
>> segfaults). Could this because I built it, by default, on 64bit? If
>> so, is there a way to set the compile to 32bit? I didn't see a setting
>> for 32bit wide in.configure. Perhaps it's a --build=BUILD option?
>
> You will need to use a recent VMMaker with all of the 32/64 bit clean
> patches applied. You can get this from the squeaksource.com project.
> Some of the VMMaker versions on SqueakMap/Universes are probably not
> up to date in this respect.

Ok. I dnl'd VMMaker-dtl.106.mcz from SqeakSource. Using Monticello to
load it, I get a warning that FFIPlugin and KlattResonatorIndices
needs to load first to use specific these plugins.

I look on SqueakSource for FFIPlugin but don't find it. I look in
Unverses, but I can't find out how to find a package in Universes.
Seems nicely categorized, but i haven't a clue how to search for a
package.
But I do find FFI v3.9 on SqueakMap. I install that. Hopefully, it's
the right version... but, there is no indication to what version I
need when I tried to install VMMaker.

I can't find KlattResonatorIndices anywhere. Where can I find that?
Maybe I could go on since I'm not interested in the KlattSynthesizer,
but, I'd hate to do that.

Thanks for the help..

brad

BTW, it's HARD to find packages to install in Squeak ( I know, I'm not
bearer of new news). Packages are in one or many places and with
different versions in different places. It's hard to tell where to go
Why don't we settle on one place for every package and use one method
(can have many tools, but one method) to download packages and their
dependencies? I guess, that's a general question to everyone. Seems
like a no-brainer.

--
Brad Fuller