[squeak-dev] Building (Linux) VM - with segfaults. that point to audio

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 20:26:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Tim Johnson <tjohnson at iwu.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2008, at 6:56 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> I assume it got built and is located internally in the vm proper.
>>
>> Any ideas? I have a feeling I just missed something completely easy in
>> the setup.
>> Or, could this be because I'm running 64bit? Since everything else is
>> working?
>
> Brad,
>
> Just a completely random hunch, but have you checked to make sure that
> Squeak is outputting audio at the same frequency (44.1 kHz or 48 kHz) that
> your Linux audio setup is set to?  I apologize that I don't have more
> specific information re: how to achieve this in your particular setup.  I
> know my Squeak VM crashed on OpenBSD because my audio hardware was running
> at I believe 22050 Hz and Squeak expected something different (e.g. 44100).

That's strange that you had a crash because of that. My ALSA setup
should accommodate any change, though. I've played all kinds of audio
at different sample rates. I'll check, though.

I think what I have to do is check out what role vm-sound-ALSA plays.
I haven't had a chance yet. I hope to get to that today.
sqUnixSoundALSA.c does get built (it shows up in
platforms/unix/bld/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.o

--
Brad Fuller