[squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:45:50 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 19 Nov 2008 5:18:23 am Andreas Raab wrote:
>  > So, my question is, is squeak images aware of existance of functional
> keys?
>
> Short answer: No. And I'll leave the long answer to someone else ;-)
"Hardware is really just software crystallized early. It is there to make
program schemes run as efficiently as possible. But far too often the
hardware has been presented as a given and it is up to software designers to
make it appear reasonable." - (1992) Alan Kay in
  http://www.smalltalk.org/smalltalk/TheEarlyHistoryOfSmalltalk_VI.html

The functional keys are a roundabout way of creating programmable buttons. The
buttons are physically embedded in hardware and logic is split between
various layers in the software stack. Squeak has a much easier way of
creating soft buttons, so its virtual machine does not emulate f-keys.

Subbu