[squeak-dev] what is holding back Smalltalk?

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Thu Nov 20 23:02:47 UTC 2008

I don't have a lot of experience with Smalltalk yet, but I really love
what I've seen so far.

I'm curious what experienced Smalltalkers see as some of the reasons
why it doesn't attract more attention. I understand the issues with
Smalltalk in the past related to license costs and performance, but
those have been addressed now. Have you tried to convince someone to
consider Smalltalk and failed to convince them? Why do you think they
rejected it? What improvements could be made to current Smalltalk
environments, especially Squeak, that might sway them?

For me the biggest issue has been trying to run my code from outside
Squeak. This includes running Squeak headless to do something script-
like and configuring a GUI application to run in a way that doesn't
require the user to know they are running Squeak. Both of these are
supposedly possible, but very difficult to get right.

---
Mark Volkmann