[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Danie Roux lists+squeak at danieroux.com
Fri Nov 21 14:02:14 UTC 2008

Janko,

Please excuse me, I need to support Randal here.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 15:50, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
> Hi Randal,
>
> Please excuse me but I need to support Paolo here. In sense that he doesn't
> stick blindfuly to those license issues while you do.

Randal is not sticking "blindly" to any license issue. His email said:

"But beware of looking at any of its source code if you ever think you
might be contibuting to the Squeak core."

That is a real and valid concern. His blog entry explains it clearly as well.

> Please stop dividing Smalltalk world with such actions. Squeak is/will be
> MIT, GNU Smalltalk is LGPL.

One could argue that the license divide is the cause of the divide.

Who would not want Generators in Squeak? It is solely because of the
license concern that we can not use the good parts of GNU Smalltalk.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix - http://danieroux.com