[squeak-dev] what is holding back Smalltalk?

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:19:02 UTC 2008

Emilio Oca escreveu:

> Careful, that's not true. With trained guys it surely can be accomplished.
> The small team I belong to it's an example of that.
> Of course it is still easier with smalltalk. And I think previous Smalltak
> training was key part of our success.
> To think that everything related to java is just trash is mistaken and
> doesn't help.
>
> Cheers.
>
>     Emilio

But at what cost????

Java is more suited for small applications and I guess that Oracle
people got it right when they started to migrate from old tools to Java
in order to have better UI development. But when you have to handle
large amounts of data and extremely dynamic objects and things like that
Java performance drops to the point that it is better to use C++ or even
C...

Interesting enough, there are lots of re-engineering initiatives for the
Java VM. Up to the moment nobody was able to create a VM that lessens
the troubles with the garbage collection system and other performance
related topics.

Anyways, this list is to discuss development under squeak... I think in
future I'll leave Java issues to Java lists...