[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 14:45:23 UTC 2008

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi Randal,
>
> Please excuse me but I need to support Paolo here. In sense that he
> doesn't stick blindfuly to those license issues while you do. Again
> and again. Please stop dividing Smalltalk world with such actions.
> Squeak is/will be MIT, GNU Smalltalk is LGPL. OK, that is, don't
> expose your anti-whatever license bias again and again. For the
> Smalltalk as a whole sake. Please.
>
> Janko

I hate licence issues with a passion. But I will stick up for Randal here.

If there is an issue, there is an issue, and until that issue is
resolved, there still is an issue. Furthermore it is no crime to point
out that there is still an issue.

When person who highlights a problem is treated as being a problem, that
is actually abuse, and it has no place in our forum. I think that Paulo
should apologize for being rude.

I expect to contribute to Squeak core in some manner, therefore I am not
able to "get stuck in" to GNU Smalltalk, without some licence issues
effecting what I do. The danger being, according to Randal, that if
Squeak makes use of GNU Smalltalk code, directly or indirectly, then
Squeak might come under LGPL jurisdiction.

If the above is true, then its up to the GNU Smalltalk people to change
things "For Smalltalk as a whole sake"

If its not true, then show us it is not true, clearly and unequivocally

Keith